MTB is updating requirements relating to examination accompaniments/backing tracks. From the 1st September 2023 please use the below guidance:
Classical Practical Grades:
- Accompaniments/backing tracks are optional for recital repertoire from Pre-Grade to Grade 5.
- Grades 6-8 must be performed with accompaniments/backing tracks unless the work is composed as a solo.
Performance Grades, Diplomas & Contemporary Practical Grades:
- Any piece composed with an accompaniment/backing track must be performed with that accompaniment/backing track.
- Accompaniments may be live or recorded.
- Backing tracks must not include the solo part.
- Although it is not a requirement and candidates would not be penalised, MTB recommends that for relevant instruments, by Grades 4-5, exams should include at least one accompanied piece to develop the candidate’s musicianship skills in preparation for higher grades.